Tuesday, June 28, 2016

Day Two...12 hours on the road 🚌

Well, we made it to Kentucky safe and sound although we are a little slap happy. I have no wireless connection here because we are staying in a little mom and pop campground by a lovely lake. That means that I am doing this on my phone so this post may be short, sweet and without pictures.

We made it five miles before our first stop at Food Lion for some ice and the Dollar General next door for some Command hooks to hang a makeshift curtain. After that, we drove an hour to Roanoke and stopped at Walmart for a toaster and camp stove. Once those errands were finished we got on the road for real.

I drove the van again till lunch time and Tim captained the "land Yacht"... More like a "land paddle boat" much of the day. Raleigh took her turn driving the van. She and I are waiting on Kansas to drive the bus where we have wide open flat roads. We thought that would be safest for us and others on the road!!

William had the opportunity to drive the bus and the van today giving Tim and me a little break. We totaled about 489 miles and it took about 12 hours but we did stop for dinner so it wasn't all driving.
Lon has been a real champ, keeping us laughing with his quick comebacks.

One of the highlights for me today was the debriefing we had at the end of the day. William has traveled a lot in his 29 years and he currently is a field guide instructor at the Mountain Institute in W. Va. He leads groups of children as well as adults on wilderness excursions teaching them mostly science related topics. He used his travel and work experience to help us work on some group dynamics and plan ways to maximize our ability to have a safe, organized, and hilarious adventure. What can I say?  I love my crazy family!!!

Alas, it is too, too late and we plan to hit the road by 5:30 tomorrow morning so I'm signing off with no pictures today😞. Hopefully that means there will be extras tomorrow.

8 comments:

  1. Good to hear from you! checked here before bed last night and there was no post :( I figured it was a long day! So happy you are able to utilize all the skill sets to maximize the adventure - crazy is good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LaVerte, you are doing a fantastic job with this blog! I love checking in and reading about the adventures, and I laugh! Others from EHBC are checking in as well, even the famous doctor! Safe travels!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad we can provide some humor. I hear you are pretty busy these days!

      Delete
  3. Do I need to fedex anymore chicken salad and pimiento cheese? Or just cookies. I am so glad all is going well. Think what family lore this will be for the children in the family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have been carefully rationing out the food so it will last till Color but I must admit, we failed with the cookies. So far, "Carolyn's Catering' has been the best! And you can be sure, with our family, some of the stories won't make it onto the blog!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That should say Colorado but it wouldn't let me edit for some reason.

      Delete
  5. Will: NERD, with love from TMI

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete